9. Small businesses create more than 53 percent of the American nonfarm private gross domestic product (GDP).
8. Small patenting firms produce 13 to 14 times more patents per employee than large patenting firms.
7. The 532,162 small businesses in Washington are located in every community and neighborhood.
6. Small businesses employ 54.7 percent of Washington’s non-farm private sector workers.
5. Home-based businesses account for 53 percent of all small businesses.
4. Small businesses are 97 percent of America’s exporters and produce 26 percent of all export value.
3. Washington saw an estimated 31,955 new small firms with employees start-up in the last year measured.
2. There are approximately 50,600 minority-owned businesses and 137,475 women-owned businesses in Washington, and almost all of them are small businesses.
1. The latest figures show that small business creates 65 percent or more of America’s net new jobs.